Centennial College Retirees Association (CCRA)



Athletic and Wellness Centre - Special Rates
CE courses discount for CCRA Members
Travel Insurance
Travel Insurance Misconceptions
OPSEU’s Retired Members’ Division
Benefits for CCRA Retirees
Retiree Benefits & the College Employers Council
Retirees Benefits: Myth Buster
211 Helps Seniors Find Assistance And Home Care


Your Perks are waiting...Free registration, no waiting in lines, incredible savings up to 40% on some products. To become a member, please contact the alumni office for your free member ID code at 416-289-5218.

Back to the top

Athletic and Wellness Centre - Special Rates
Centennial has a beautiful Athletic and Wellness Centre.  Now, retirees are eligible for a special community rate.
 For more information or to book a tour contact:

Penny Kirlik
CCSAI Executive Director
416-289-5000 ex. 2206 
Back to the top

CE courses discount for CCRA Members 

All CCRA members receive a 20% discount off Continuing Education courses.


Help for Mom (HFM) is a independent Canadian company that helps families navigate senior housing, home care and aging at home options for FREE with no obligation.  
      We work with CARP and other Retiree Association by offering our services as a membership Perk because:

  • Association goals are to provide support for members especially in times of stress
  • Members do not pay for the HFM service
  • Encourages new/renew membership  
  • Saves member or loved ones over 100 hours of researching eldercare options
  • Alleviates the stress of making Eldercare choices on their own
  • We offer tailored education seminars
  • We provide an insiders perspective 24/7 to help make informed Eldercare decisions
  • Provider Partner Discounts
Back to the top

Travel Insurance
As a member of CCRA; you are entitled to benefits from Centennial College Alumni Association (https://ccaa.life/).  One of the benefits is insurance:  auto; home and travel (http://ccaa.johnson.ca/).

For your travel insurance, MEDOC offers competitive trip/travel cancellation insurance, with rates varying by age and medical condition. See a summary of their offering at http://ccaa.johnson.ca/travel-insurance-medoc.  You can call 1-866-606-3362 with specific questions,  to obtain a quote and to purchase the insurance.

Back to the top

Travel Insurance Misconceptions
Half of Ontario residents who travelled outside of the province (but within Canada) did not buy travel medical insurance because they thought OHIP would cover them. The truth is, while Ontario residents can receive OHIP coverage when temporarily travelling outside Ontario and within Canada, that coverage has many restrictions. You can learn more about these restrictions by clicking here .

Back to the top

OPSEU's Retired Members' Division
Join the OPSEU’s Retired Members’ Division. Membership in the Retired Members Division is open to all OPSEU/CSAO members and staff who leave the workplace by retiring directly to a pension earned in the workplace or by retiring from a bargaining unit without a pension plan.   Click here for the application form from OPSEU.

Back to the top

Benefits for CCRA Retirees

Your contact at Centennial College for information about your benefits is
Indra Raghubir, Benefits and Job Evaluation Analyst

Tel: 416 289 5000  Ext. 7057

Back to the top
Retiree Benefits & the College Employers Council

The College Employers Council is the policy holder for all benefits provided to college retirees. The current underwriter is Sun Life.
Helpful information available on the College Employers Council site:
          Benefit Booklets
          Retirement Planning brochure
          Benefits at a Glance
          Premium Rates and Worksheet
          Retiree CAATNIPS Newsletter
The RETIREE CAATNIPS. This newsletter is produced by Council on behalf of the CAAT Retiree Group Insurance Advisory Committee (CRGIAC). It is designed to keep you informed of changes to your retiree group insurance benefits plan as well as give you some helpful information with regard to your benefits and how to use them.
RETIREE CAATNIPS Newsletter 8th issue available (Click here to download.).

Orthopaedic Shoes (Custom-Made) and Orthotics (Custom-Made)

Click here to go to the document provided for CAAT Retiree Extended Health Care Plan 1 and Plan 2 to help one understand Orthopaedic Shoes (Custom-Made) and Orthotics (Custom-Made). 

Vaccines and the drug card do not mix!

You cannot use the drug card to purchase vaccines.
  •         The CAAT Plan covers vaccines that legally require a prescription. If you do attempt to purchase a vaccine with the drug card you will get a decline message from the pharmacist (despite having a prescription and despite the vaccine being eligible under the plan).  Submit your claim manually. 

Did You Know? – Review these steps before you file your Income Tax

  •         The annual premiums you pay for your Extended Health and/or Dental Care Plan(s) are considered eligible medical expenses under the Income Tax Act. Your College will issue you a statement on an annual basis confirming the total premium you paid for these benefits.
  •         Ask your pharmacist to provide you with a statement of all your claims for the past year. The statement will show what was paid by your provincial plan and what was paid by you or Sun Life (insurer of the CAAT Retirees Plan).
  •         If you have signed up for access to your records on Sun Life’s website, you may print off a statement of all your claims for the previous calendar year showing the amount paid by the plan.
  •         Use these two statements to track eligible medical expenses not paid by your provincial medicare plan or your CAAT Retiree plan as these may be used as medical expenses when you file your tax return. 
The two items above are from Volume 2 – November 2011 Edition of the Retiree CAATNIPS produced by the CAAT Retiree Group Insurance Advisory Committee

Retirees Benefits: Myth Buster

This is a joint communication from the Union members of the CAAT Academic and Suport Joint Insurance Committees and the OPSEU CAAT Retiree Group Insurrance Advisory Committee.
Please click here to find out what are myths and what are facts about the CCRA Retiree Benefit Plan.

Back to the top

211 Helps Seniors Find Assistance and Home Care

Navigating and applying for services are common challenges, especially when seeking out government benefits. 211 also refers callers to agencies that offer help to fill in applications and tax clinics for low-income people of every age.

For low-income seniors, 211 can provide information about the Guaranteed Income Supplement, GIS-Allowance and the Guaranteed Annual Income System. There are also a variety of financial and other types of assistance for veterans of war.

Other potential sources of financial help and services which depend on individual eligibility.
  • Ontario Drugs Benefits program
  • Assistive Devices Program
  • Community Care Access Centres for support services such as
    • Homemaking
    • Caregiver relief
    • Friendly visiting
    • Home maintenance and repair services
  • Home and Vehicle Modification Program, March of Dimes
  • Ontario Renovates Program
  • Low Income Energy Assistance Program
  • Meals on Wheels
  • Good Food Box
  • Farley Foundation
Community legal clinics, which offer services to all low-income seniors, can help if you are having difficulty applying for a tax refund or receiving your pension, or you need help preparing a will or a power of attorney form. Some Ontario cities also have Wills on Wheels, a directory of independent lawyers who offer in-home will and power of attorney preparation services.
For more information about programs and services mentioned in article visit http://www.211ontario.ca/basic-page/211-ontario-helps-seniors-access-financial-and-home-support-services.
For information about services and programs for your situation, call 2-1-1 from anywhere in Ontario. 211 is the helpline for information and referral to community, social and health services or search online at www.211ontario.ca. The 211 helpline is answered live 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and service is available in over 150 languages.
Call 2-1-1

TTY: 1-888-340-1001

Free. Confidential. Live answer. 24/7

We help you find over 60,000 community and social services in Ontario.